Friday, November 15, 2013

Life Lately...

has been crazy. Not crazy busy, so much, just crazy. 

Logan has been having some difficulties at home and at school with following directions, paying attention, focusing, and all-around respect. At home he just can't stay focused on anything (unless it's the Wii or some other techology)...asking him to complete one task leads him to get distracted (ooohhh, sparkly!) and we are constantly having to stay on him to get anything done. At home, that's one thing.  When it carries over to school, it gets real. His teacher said she has noticed a major change in the past couple of weeks as far as his talkative-ness, attention span, and ability to stay on task. He has gotten a few notes home and I take those very seriously.When he gets a note, he loses 'screen time' for the day and writes sentences. He may or may not get a spanking, depending on the severity of the issue. He is very remorseful once he gets home but at school, getting a note doesn't seem to affect him. I talked to his teacher the other day and we discussed how she might need to be a bit tougher with him so that he sees the consequences at school. As in, make him sit by himself at lunch or in the classroom. He is very social so that would definitely hit him where it hurts. She was appreciative of my support and almost seemed shocked that I would be okay (and that I suggested it) with her being stricter. I guess teachers have to be more careful these days with how they discipline, but it's not like I told her to swat him. Kinda struck me as sad that she was hesitant about it. But it could also be that she is just a sticky-sweet kind of teacher. Logan loves her but he would still love her if she was tough on him (like his teacher from last year). 

We also signed him up for a trial month of karate at a local place that was highly recommended by some friends from church/preschool. He tried it last night and really seemed to enjoy it. They are big on respect and focus, so I am hoping it really helps him as well as gives him a much-needed energy outlet. Oh, he also started a weekly after-school art class that he really seems to like so far.

But his reading has taken off. All of a sudden, it just clicked! He is reading anything and everything. The other day we were out running errands and he was in the backseat reading a book and he said "I used to think I couldn't read anything, but now I am like the HERO of reading!" It was adorable.




I mean, really, how could this sweet, adorable boy give us so much grief? Ha. It's a good thing he's cute (and it's crazy how old he looks in this picture--still holding on to that gray tooth, though. Gray tooth 4 life, yo).

Benjamin, well, has been an adorable, smiley, sweet baby...who doesn't like to sleep but LOVES his food. We started him on some solid food this last few weeks and he can't get enough. He has had oatmeal, a few bites of mashed up banana, carrots, green beans, and butternut squash. I have made everything (except the oatmeal of course) and I love that. I didn't do that with Logan because it never really dawned on me and I was still teaching full-time so I was a bit busier. But it has been super easy and SO much cheaper, it's unreal. Two little jars of butternut squash for 99 cents or 1 huge butternut squash for $1.69 (which makes a ton). Duh. 

I hoped the food would help him sleep a little better. We give it to him at night, before his bath, and then he nurses before bed. You would think his belly would be full and he would sleep peacefully. Nope. Still 3-4 hours. Once this week I got a 5 hour stretch, but that's it. Naps aren't that great either. 45 minutes max most of the time with a surprise long one thrown in on occasion. Hopefully he will turn a corner soon and realize that sleeping is okay and he won't miss a meal or anything exciting.



Again, it's a good thing he's cute cuz Mama is TIRED. It's starting to affect my daily life. I am forgetting things (almost forgot I signed up to be Mystery Reader for Logan's class today--thankful for an email from his teacher), talking in my sleep, screwing up on dates (which then leads to bank problems/unnecessary financial freak outs), and don't even look at my house. When B is sleeping, I am resting. Note that I didn't say sleeping. If I start to fall asleep, it's guaranteed that he will wake up within 5 minutes. It's not worth it anymore. I just rest. He is such a light sleeper that I hate to even attempt to do stuff around the house. He still naps in the swing (don't judge) most of the time and that is right in the living room so he hears everything. So, the house is gross, laundry is piled up, and dinner is a last-minute thrown together thing most of the time but we are surviving. Chris works his tail-end off for us so he is not home many nights, so by the time I get both boys down, I am done. 

Eventually the house will get clean but right now I am just soaking my boys up and trying to function on 8 hours of very broken sleep. They are so cute together. Logan is so sweet with Benjamin and Benjamin just watches everything Logan does. 



Seriously. Could they BE any cuter? (Shout out to Chandler from Friends)

All these pictures are from a session we did a few weeks ago with Chunky Monkey Photography. Several friends have used her and the pictures are always great. We decided we were overdue for family pictures since we haven't had them done since Logan was, oh, 2, I think. Benjamin wasn't smiley and was very distracted by all the cars in downtown Fort Worth, Logan was fine (he was bribed with a new Skylanders shirt, and I was a ball of stress (what's new, right?). But they turned out great (although I way over-analyze/criticize everything--especially myself) and I am so happy we did it.





Now, onto the craziness that is Thanksgiving and Christmas! I can't even think about Christmas yet. Halloween decor is still up--again, don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment